Please check this site prior to each tournament to ensure you have the latest information at hand.
Registration deadline is Monday 11pm for tournaments. Generally, tournament registration will open one week before the tournament registration closes.
All players must pre-register online through our registration form.
Tournament Payment (All Divisions)
After registering players must pay online before the registration deadline. Payment can be made using this link
Teams with non-paid players will not gain entry to the competition.
NBVA Tournament Prices are as follows:
- Full Member – $20
- Casual – $30 (plus $22 Single Event Membership paid to Volleyball NSW)
- Affilliate – $30
- U18/U16 Full Member – $10
- U18/U16 Affiliate – $20
- U18/U16 Casual – $20 (plus $15 Single Event (Bronze) Membership paid to Volleyball NSW)
Volleyball NSW Membership / NBVA Membership
In addition to tournament fees, players are also required to take out a Volleyball NSW membership with NBVA via the new revolutioniseSPORT website. For more information and instructions go to our Membership Sign Up page here: https://nbva.org.au/membership/.
The Volleyball NSW memberships are based on different access to services and events:
Suitable for players who wish to access the full range of Volleyball NSW benefits and services. This includes Australian Beach Volleyball Tour, State and Club based events.
Suitable for those players who wish to access social / recreational activities only. This includes State and Club based events.
Single Event Membership
This membership is for anyone who wishes to participate in a 1-2 Day Tournament. Ie. Beach Volleyball Tour.
One Day Events
4V4 and other special events will normally run on 1 day.
Two Day Events
NBVA Tournaments and Mixed will be run usually over 2 consecutive days.
e.g. AAA, AA and A Divisions will be run on the Saturday
BBB, BB and B Divisions will be run on the Sunday
B Qualification Tournament will be run on the following Saturday after BBB, BB and B Division
When you register and once the seedling list is completed (by Friday) you will receive an email that indicates what day you are playing on.
If you are unsure what days the tournaments are run on, check https://nbva.org.au/registered-teams which lists the dates of the tournament.
It is YOUR responsibility to make sure you know what day you are playing on. There will be no refunds issued for getting the day wrong.
Highest seeded teams registered and paid by the deadline will receive entry to the division selected and until the maximum number of teams have been reached. All other teams will be placed on the waitlist if there is an over subscription of teams. (Note: Refunds for wait listed teams will be processed by NBVA the following week).
If teams are tied on the same seeding points, preference and the higher seeding will be based on current season NBVA Tournament Results, ABVRS Seeding, and to which team who has registered first (must have also completed payment prior to entry deadline). Decision is at the discretion of the NBVA.
If maximum team registration is also reached and if there is a tie in points priority will go to NBVA member teams with a seeding score, over Affiliated members and Casuals at the time of the registration/event payment deadline.
NOTE: Both the winner and runner up of each division – Qualification B through to AA division – will be promoted to the higher division for the next Tournament in the same season. In order for the promotion to be valid, the team must play the following NBVA tournament as the same team pairing. Promotions are not carried forward to a subsequent season.
Tournament player withdrawal and replacement policy.
In the event of one member of a team being unable to play a tournament that they have registered for due to injury or illness that team member may be replaced within the guidelines below.
Players should inform the NBVA at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as they know that they need to replace a team member or withdraw from the tournament so that the necessary arrangements can be made and other affected teams can be informed.
Prior to the registration deadline a player may register with a new partner and inform the NBVA that the old registration is to be replaced.
Once the registration deadline has passed a team may pull out and request a refund.
If one of the players is injured or unable to play due to ill health they can be replaced so that their partner can still play the tournament. The registered partner of the player who has pulled out must email the NBVA with the details of the new partner that they will be playing the tournament with, before 5pm on the day before the tournament.
Players will be reseeded based on the seeding points of the new team, however:
- A team will be reseeded within the original division that they were seeded in previously or into a lower division based on seeding points.
- Where a team’s new seeding points would elevate them into a higher division, they will instead be awarded first seed in the division in which they were originally seeded.
- A player will not be reseeded into a division higher than their original seeding (at registration deadline).
- If a replacement player was registered in another team at the registration deadline, for example – two teams require a replacement, so the remaining players form a new team – the new team will be seeded in the lowest player’s division.
- Teams will only be reseeded into a higher division at the discretion of the NBVA.
It is not possible to replace both players from a team for one tournament. One player may be replaced more than once, but if both original players are unable to play the team will be withdrawn and issued with a refund.
All withdrawals and replacements should be agreed with the NBVA prior to 5pm on the day prior to the tournament. Email the NBVA at email@example.com.
Both players of all pre-registered pairs must have signed in before 7.45am.
7.30am – Sign in opens
7.45am – Sign in closes
7:45am – Players meeting
8.00am – First matches start on all courts
By 4pm – Grand Final of all divisions (sooner if possible)
By 5pm – All players help clear court area
After the AAA/AA/A finals on Saturday, presentations will be presented to the winners on the beach. Presentations for BBB/BB/B levels will be on the beach on Sunday.
- With the exception of the first match at 8:00am, peppering and general warm up must take place off the match court.
- Teams will be allowed 5 minutes spiking/serving warm up on their court, make sure you are aware of when you next game is and have warmed up in advance somewhere off the court.
- Players are expected to monitor the progress of their draw/division/court and be ready to play as soon as the previous match comes off court.
- Any teams who are not ready to play within 5 minutes of being called will forfeit that match, with the other team going through as a clean set win to zero points.
- The only exception will be if a team has been refereeing immediately prior to their game, in which case a 10 minute warm up will be allowed on court (following the conclusion of referee duties).
The following divisions will be offered. The NBVA reserves the right to combine divisions if there are insufficient numbers.
- Men AAA (8 teams); Men AA (8 teams); Men A (8 teams)
- Men BBB (8 teams); Men BB (8 teams – with an exception to be modified); Men B (8 teams – with an exception to be modified)
- Women AAA (8 teams); Women AA (8 teams); Women A (8 teams)
- Women BBB (8 teams); Women BB (8 teams – with an exception to be modified); Women B (8 teams – with an exception to be modified)
Where AAA Division is considered the higher standard than AA and A Division.
After the top 24 Teams Register for AAA/AA/A on the Saturday, any lower teams will be bumped to the BBB/BB/B registration.
Player Ranking Points / Seeding
Update for 2022-23 season, NBVA #1: The seeding of NBVA tournaments is based on the average of the teams individual seeding scores.
Your individual seeding score is the average ranking points of your best 3 results from your previous 5 entries.
If you don’t have any results in the previous 36 months your results from prior seasons will be used and de-rated by 15% per season.
If a player with no seeding score partners up with a player with a seeding score – a team average will be calculated using half player points for player with none.
Click here to see more information around the NBVA Points Tables.
Wildcard and non-competitive entries may be available – refer to policy below.
AAA, AA and A divisions will have 8 teams each and play Modified Pool Play format.
BBB, BB and B divisions will have 8 teams each and play Modified Pool Play format, however the BB and B formats may be modified if there are insufficient entries to create two 8-team divisions.
For all NBVA Tournaments matching uniforms are mandatory.
Matching uniforms are defined as:
- Men’s: Matching NBVA / VNSW 2022/23 or 2021/22 Singlets*
- Women’s: Matching NBVA / VNSW 2022/23 or 2021/22 Budgy Smuggler Tops*; and Matching Bottoms
*Other clubs’ singlets/tops may be allowable at the discretion of the NBVA or NBVA Tournament Director.
For mandatory requirements:
- If requirements are not met, match will be forfeited 2-0 (21-0, 21-0)
- In the scenario of environmental conditions or injury, Players are permitted to wear compression or other garments underneath their uniform
- Any exceptions are at the discretion of the NBVA Tournament Director
Caps and visors, arm and wrist bands and sand socks are not considered part of the official team uniform and may be different within the team.
The scoring format will be confirmed at the Player Meeting on the morning of the tournament once entries are finalised.
- In the absence of qualified officials, teams will be expected to referee.
- In pool play, the officiating team will be pre-allocated according to the roster.
- In double elimination, the losing team will officiate the next game on that court.
- Teams that leave before finishing a duty at a tournament and do not check with the Tournament Director before leaving, will be penalised and receive a last place finish for that event.
NBVA Wild Card Information
- Wild Card entry to Tournaments may be awarded at discretion of the NBVA. Teams may apply for a wildcard if they believe that their playing ability is significantly higher than that of the division in which they will be seeded through the seeding policy.
- The number of Wild Cards offered at all Tournaments is limited to a maximum of 2 per division for 8 or 12 team draws.
- Wild Cards are issued in extraordinary situations only – with an intent to correct instances where teams are significantly under-seeded (based on their team seeding points) and ensure the highest level of talent is playing in the right division and in the tournament.
- Teams that are not granted a wildcard will have normal Tournament seeding processes applied.
- Wild Card submissions must be received by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 12pm on the Thursday prior to the tournament. Submissions should include both Experience and Results from FIVB World Tour, Australian Tour, other relevant International participation. For Wild Card submissions to be considered, the team must have a completed & paid entry to the tournament.
Non-Competitive Entry Election Policy
- The aim of a non-competitive entry is to encourage experienced players to mentor and share their competition experience with a current junior player by combining as a team within a competition environment.
- A non-competitive entry for a mentor player allows them to team up with a junior player in a competition without concern for any adverse effects the team result may otherwise have on the mentor player’s future seeding point calculations.
- A player may request to have their entry in a competition classed as a non-competitive entry if they partner with a current junior player. Electing to take this option means that the result achieved in the applicable competition will simply be excluded from both team member’s future seeding calculations.
- Non-competitive entry submissions must be received via email to email@example.com prior to the tournament entry deadline. Acceptance of requests is at the discretion of the NBVA.
- Fair play policy applies at the discretion of the NBVA.
Retrospective non-competitive election
- A new player, being a player who had Nil points previously, who wins automatic promotion from a division on their initial entry, has the discretion to chose to retrospectively classify their initial result as non-competitive on their first participation in that division.
- For example, a team who enters with Nil points into B division and subsequently wins B division, then BB, then BBB, then A, then AA – can then chose to classify all results prior to AAA as non-competitive.
- This ensures that the player’s future seeding is not held back by those prior results received in the lower division.
NBVA Player Responsibility
- The NBVA is responsible for running the tournament according to the schedule and to the best of our ability using the resources available.
- We ask for the cooperation of the players to ensure this can happen, and we can then commence presentation ceremonies and pub festivities.
- Please monitor your court/draw
- Help us find/tell players if they need to do duty or are required on court.
- Please warm up off court before your match time so you are ready to start as soon as the previous match finishes.
NBVA Terms and Conditions of Sale can be found by clicking the link.
Other Tournaments – State and National Tours
NSW Beach Volleyball Tour
- The NSW Beach Volleyball Tour is the highest level of beach volleyball in the state, providing a competitive environment for NSW’s elite and developing athletes. Hosted by Volleyball NSW in conjunction with our affiliates they aim to deliver an exciting event for all players and spectators alike.
- The NSW BVT Round #1 will be held at Manly Beach from 22-23 October 2022.
- The NSW Championships (NSW BVT Round #8) will be held at Manly Beach from 25-26 February 2023.
- NSW BVT events are seeded and ranked using the Australian Beach Volleyball Ranking System (ABVRS).
- Further information about the NSW Beach Volleyball Tour can be found at https://www.volleyballnsw.com.au/competitions/beach-volleyball-tour-home/
Australian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Further information about the Australian Beach Volleyball Tour can be found at https://abvt.volleyball.org.au/
- No ABVT events are scheduled for Manly in the 2022-23 season.
- ABVT events are seeded and ranked using the Australian Beach Volleyball Ranking System (ABVRS).