Please check this site prior to the first tourney of the season to ensure you have the latest information at hand.
Registration deadline is Wednesday 12pm for tournaments. Generally, tournament registration will open one week before tournament day.
All players must pre-register online through our registration form.
Tournament Payment (All Divisions)
After registering players must pay online before the registration deadline. Payment can be made using this link
Teams with non-paid players will not gain entry to the competition.
Prices are as follows:
- Full Member – $20
- Casual – $30 (plus $20 Single Event (bronze) Membership paid to State Volleyball NSW)
- Affilliate – $30
- U19/U13 Full Member – $10
- U19/U13 Affiliate – $20
- U19/U13 Casual – $20 (plus $20 Single Event (bronze) Membership paid to State Volleyball NSW)
In addition to tournament fees, players must pay NBVA Membership fees.
One Day Events
4V4 and other special events will normally run on 1 day.
Two Day Events
NBVA Tournaments and Mixed will be run usually over 2 consecutive days.
e.g. AAA, AA and A Divisions will generally be run on the Saturday
and BBB, BB and B Divisions will be run on the Sunday
When you register and once the seedling list is completed (by Friday) you will receive an email that indicates what day you are playing on.
If you are unsure what days the tournaments are run on, check https://nbva.org.au/registered-teams which lists the dates of the tournament.
It is YOUR responsibility to make sure you know what day you are playing on. There will be no refunds issued for getting the day wrong.
Highest seeded teams registered and paid by the deadline will receive entry to the division selected and until the maximum number of teams have been reached. All other teams will be placed on the wait list if there is an over subscription of teams. (Note: Refunds for wait listed teams will be processed by NBVA the following week). If teams are tied on points (e.g. 0 points), the team who has registered first (and paid) will be permitted over the other teams with tied points.
If maximum team registration is also reached and if there is a tie in points priority will go to NBVA member teams with a seeding score, over Affiliated members (e.g. Coogee) and Casuals at the time of the registration/event payment deadline.
Winners of each division are promoted to the next division for the next Tournament. This must be the next consecutive tournament and same team pairing.
NBVA Wild Card Information
- Wild Card entry to Tournaments may be awarded at discretion of the NBVA Committee. Teams may apply for a wildcard if one or both players don’t have current seeding points (generally for visiting international / interstate athletes or joining through the junior talent pathway).
- The number of Wild Cards offered at all Tournaments is limited to a maximum of 2x AAA and 2x AA. Wild Cards are issued in extraordinary situations with an intent to ensure the highest level of talent is playing in the right division and in the tournament.
- Teams that are not granted a wildcard will have normal Tournament seeding processes applied.
- Wild Card submissions must be received by email (email@example.com) prior to the tournament entry deadline (12noon Wednesday prior to the tournament). Submissions should include both Experience and Results from FIVB World Tour, Australian Tour, other relevant International participation. For Wild Card submissions to be considered, the team must have a completed & paid entry to the tournament.
Both players of all pre-registered pairs must have signed in before 7.45am.
7.30am – Sign in opens
7.45am – Sign in closes
7:45am – Players meeting
8.00am – First matches start on all courts
By 4pm – Grand Final of all divisions (sooner if possible)
By 5pm – All players help clear court area
After the AAA/AA/A finals on Saturday, presentations will be presented to the winners on the beach. Presentations for BBB/BB/B levels will be on the beach on Sunday.
- With the exception of the first match at 8:00am, peppering and general warm up must take place off the match court.
- Teams will be allowed 5 minutes spiking/serving warm up on their court, make sure you are aware of when you next game is and have warmed up in advance somewhere off the court.
- Players are expected to monitor the progress of their draw/division/court and be ready to play as soon as the previous match comes off court.
- Any teams who are not ready to play within 5 minutes of being called will forfeit that match, with the other team going through as a clean set win to zero points.
- The only exception will be if a team has been reffing immediately prior to their game, in which case a 10 minute warm up will be allowed on court.
The following divisions will be offered. The Tournament Committee reserves the right to combine divisions if there are insufficient numbers.
- Men AAA (8 teams)
- Men AA (8 teams)
- Men A (8 teams)
- Men BBB (8 teams)
- Men BB (8 teams – with an exception to be modified)
- Men B (8 teams – with an exception to be modified)
- Women AAA (8 teams)
- Women AA (8 teams)
- Women A (8 teams)
- Women BBB (8 teams)
- Women BB (8 teams – with an exception to be modified)
- Women B (8 teams – with an exception to be modified)
Where AAA Division is considered the higher standard than AA and A Division.
After the top 24 Teams Register for AAA/AA/A on the Saturday, any lower teams will be bumped to the BBB/BB/B registration.
Player Ranking Points
The seeding of NBVA tournaments is based on the average of the teams individual seeding score. The individual seeding score is the players average ranking points of their last 3 results in the previous 7 NBVA tournaments. If you played less than 3 tournaments your score will be derated by 10%. If you don’t have any results in the previous 7 NBVA tournaments your results from previous seasons will be used and derated by 15% per season.
If a player with no seeding score partners up with a player with a seeding score – a team average will be calculated using half player points for player with none.
AAA, AA and A divisions will have 8 teams each and play Modified Pool Play format.
BBB, BB and B divisions will have 8 teams each and play a Single Set Round Robin, Single Set Quarters, 3 Set Semi-Finals and Final
AAA, AA and A Men’s and Women’s Division: 8 teams required
AAA and AA Uniforms
- AAA / AA divisions: matching uniform are mandatory.
- A / BBB / BB / B divisions: matching uniforms are optional, however strongly recommended.
- Men’s: Matching NBVA / VNSW 2020/21 Sportility Singlets*
- Women’s: Matching NBVA / VNSW 2020/21 Budgy Smuggler Tops or Matching NBVA / VNSW 2020/21 Sportility Singlets*
- If requirements are not met, match will be forfeited 2-0 (21-0, 21-0)
- Players may use matching NBVA 2019/20 Season Sportility Singlets or Budgy Smuggler Tops as a back-up or second uniform
- In the scenario of environmental conditions or injury, Players are permitted to wear compression or other garments underneath their uniform
- Any exceptions are at the discretion of the NBVA Tournament Director
Caps and visors, arm and wrist bands and sand socks are not considered part of the official team uniform and my be different within the team.
The scoring format will be confirmed at the Player Meeting on the morning of the tournament once entries are finalised.
- In the absence of qualified officials, teams will be expected to referee.
- In pool play, the officiating team will be pre-allocated according to the roster.
- In double elimination, the losing team will officiate the next game on that court.
- Teams that leave before finishing a duty at a tournament and do not check with the Tournament Director before leaving, will be penalised and receive a last place finish for that event.
NBVA Player Responsibility
- The NBVA is responsible for running the tournament according to the schedule and to the best of our ability using the resources available.
- We ask for the cooperation of the players to ensure this can happen, and we can then commence presentation ceremonies and pub festivities.
- Please monitor your court/draw
- Help us find/tell players if they need to do duty or are required on court.
- Please warm up off court before your match time so you are ready to start as soon as the previous match finishes.